To download the full (all divisions) copy of the rules, click here.
1.1. All applicants must register and pay ALL FEES ON-LINE at the NTC website: www.nationaltrumpetcomp.org (online registration will open November 1, 2023). Applicants must register online using a valid credit card and ONE (only) valid e-mail address. An applicant’s recording will not be reviewed unless payment is received by the December 15, 2023 deadline.
1.2. Students enrolled full time or home schooled at the time of the Competition who are either US citizens or foreign students studying in the USA may apply.
1.3. All applicants must submit a video recording of their competition piece. Applicants are responsible for mastering this process and for making a successful upload. Applicants are strongly urged to verify that their link functions properly prior to submitting their application. Every aspect of this part of the process is the responsibility of the applicant. Applicant videos should not contain any content or pieces beyond their competition repertoire.
1.3.1. Solos composed with or without piano accompaniment are permitted. Works that include a published piano part must be recorded with live accompaniment.
1.3.2. Stopping/starting, editing, or splicing of any kind is prohibited. Attempts to circumvent NTC’s efforts to keep the competition fair for all violates the ethics of integrity to which NTC aspires. Please submit an honest, un-edited video.
1.3.3. Videos must contain exactly and only what is to be performed in the live rounds, including any cuts. Performances are limited to 8 minutes, including stage entrance, tuning, and performing. If a video exceeds 8 minutes, the preliminary judges will listen to only the first 8 minutes of the video.
1.3.4. Recordings must be successfully submitted by 11:59:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, December 15, 2023; there will be no exceptions. Videos must be uploaded UNLISTED (not Private) to YouTube and the link to the video provided in the online NTC application. Videos not viewable by the judging panel will be disqualified.
1.3.5. Uploaded videos may NOT contain any indications of the applicant’s school or teacher affiliations. Video titles and description should contain ONLY the title and composer of the work performed, nothing more. YouTube channel names used in uploading the video submissions may contain entrants’ personal name but should NOT include a school/teacher name or affiliation.
2. Age Requirements (applicants must meet both parameters of age and school enrollment)
2.8. Jazz Solo Division: Open to anyone born after March 11, 1995, and enrolled full time in school or home schooled.
7. Jazz Solo Division
7.1. Selected semifinalists will play in a live preliminary round, from which finalists will be chosen. In their application recording, applicants must include the required work My Shining Hour by Arlen/Mercer, as well as a contrasting piece of their choice.
7.2. Semifinalists will perform both selections under a 12-minute time limitation, which will include set-up, tuning, and performance.
7.3. Finalists will play their piece of choice ONLY, and will be limited to 8 minutes on stage, which includes set-up, tuning, and performance.
7.4. Jazz Solo Division competitors must perform semi and final rounds with the rhythm section (piano/bass/drums) provided by NTC. Upon acceptance to the semi-final round, applicants must:
- Send a PDF of your piano/rhythm charts to NTC.
- Include the applicant’s name, division, phone, and e-mail legibly shown on the front page of the PDF.
- Send the file containing the music no later than midnight Eastern Standard Time, February 1, 2024.
- JANUARY 20, 2024 – Notification of acceptance to the semi-final round will be posted on the NTC website. The rehearsal and competition schedule will also be posted that day. This schedule is to be considered final at the time of publication; no adjustments may be made for any reason.
- FEBRUARY 1, 2024 – Deadline for online payment of the NTC rhythm section fee AND to send PDFs of rhythm section music to . Any competitor who has failed in either aspect of these submissions will be notified of their delinquency on February 2, and will have 48 hours to rectify the omission, with a penalty of $95. Any failure beyond that deadline will result in disqualification, at which time alternate contestants may be invited. There are NO refunds given to disqualified applicants; if an applicant pays the fee online and fails to send their music, NTC will not refund their money.
7.5. All competitors admitted to the live rounds must be available to rehearse and perform at any time for the duration of their portion of the competition. Any competitor unable to rehearse or perform at their assigned time will be disqualified. The Jazz Solo Division Semi-finals will be held on Saturday, March 9 and finals on Monday, March 11.
Applicants performing any unpublished arrangements must adhere to copyright law: All works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years. To learn more about copyright laws as it pertains to musicians, visit https://www.copyright.gov/engage/musicians/.
9.1. Application fee for all solo and excerpt divisions is $85 per applicant.
9.4. NTC Rhythm Section fee is $95 per applicant.
Cash prizes will be awarded for First, Second and Third Place:
Jazz: $3000, $1500, $750
11. Rules Disclaimer (Please Read!)
Final interpretation of all rules remains with the National Trumpet Competition. All applicants accept total responsibility for the understanding of and compliance with NTC rules and regulations. Failure to adhere to NTC rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of all fees.