To download the full (all divisions) copy of the rules, click here.
1.1. All applicants must register and pay ALL FEES ON-LINE at the NTC website: www.nationaltrumpetcomp.org (online registration will open November 1, 2022). Applicants must register online using a valid credit card and ONE (only) valid e-mail address. An applicant’s recording will not be reviewed unless payment is received by the December 15, 2022 deadline.
1.2. Students enrolled full time or home schooled at the time of the Competition who are either US citizens or foreign students studying in the USA may apply.
1.3. All applicants must submit a video recording of their excerpts. All applicants are responsible for mastering this process and for making a successful upload. Applicants are strongly urged to verify, on their own, that their link functions properly, to ensure that the judges are able to avail themselves of their video. Every aspect of this part of the process is the responsibility of the applicant.
1.3.2. No stopping/starting, editing, or splicing of any kind is allowed. To attempt to circumvent NTC’s efforts to keep the competition fair for all goes against the ethics of integrity to which NTC aspires. Please submit an honest, un-edited video.
1.3.4. Recordings must be successfully submitted by midnight Eastern Standard Time, December 15, 2022; there will be no exceptions. Videos must be uploaded UNLISTED (not Private) to YouTube and the link to the video provided in the online NTC application. Videos not viewable by the judging panel will be disqualified.
2. Age Requirements (applicants must meet both parameters of age and school enrollment)
2.5. Military Band Excerpt Division: Open to anyone born after March 27, 1994, and enrolled full time in school or home schooled.
4. Military Band Excerpt Division
4.1. All excerpts (including those designated as cornet parts) are to be performed on B flat and/or C trumpet.
4.2. Entrants must record the following list in order in one continuous take.
- Vannetelbosch: Etude No. 1 from Vingt Études Mélodiques et Techniques, mm. 1-25
- Vaughan Williams: Toccata Marziale, Solo Cornet, pickups to Figure 7 to Figure 11
- Persichetti: Divertimento for Band, First Cornet, Movement V (complete)
- Fillmore: Americans We, Solo Cornet, mm. 1-36 (upper divisi, no first endings)
- Bugle Call: Retreat
4.3. Entrants advanced to live rounds will perform repertoire selected from the preliminary list, as well as those listed below.
- Clarke: The Bride of the Waves (complete)
- Butterfield: Taps
- Copland: An Outdoor Overture, Trumpet 1, mm. 16-34
- Elliott: British Eighth March, Solo Cornet, mm. 1-36
- Gershwin: An American in Paris, Trumpet 1, pickup to Figure 57 to Figure 59
- Glinka/Henning: Ruslan and Lyudmila, Solo Cornet, 8 before Figure 6 through 3 after Figure 8
- Rimsky-Korsakov/Leidzén: Procession of the Nobles, Solo Cornet, Figure 10 to the end (upper divisi)
- Sousa: The Gallant Seventh, Solo Cornet, beginning to Letter G
- Williams/Lavender: Summon the Heroes, Trumpet 1, mm. 32-49 in B flat (sounding concert F major)
- Sight reading selected from the Wind Band repertoire
4.4. On January 20, 2023, preliminary round results will be posted on the NTC website, along with a live competition and rehearsal schedule. This schedule is to be considered final at the time of publication; no adjustments may be made for any reason.
4.5. All competitors admitted to the live rounds must be available to perform at any time for the duration of their portion of the competition; any competitor unable to perform at their assigned time will be disqualified. Quarterfinals may be held as early as the morning of Saturday, March 25.
8.1. Application fee for the excerpt division is $85 per applicant.
Cash prizes will be awarded for First, Second and Third Place:
Military Band Excerpt: $3000, $1500, $750
10. Rules Disclaimer (Please Read!)
Final interpretation of all rules remains with the National Trumpet Competition. All applicants accept total responsibility for the understanding of and compliance with NTC rules and regulations. Failure to adhere to NTC rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of all fees.